Image Credit : Wikipedia commons
Topic: Perchloric Acid
I know each one of you have heard about Sulphuric acid. So, as we all know how strong and dangerous Sulphuric acid Is. But today in this article we will learn about an acid which is more dangerous and strong than Sulphuric acid.
And the name of that acid is Perchloric Acid. So, let us learn about it in detail. But before defining Perchloric acid firstly let us define acid.
What is an acid ?
Basically, An acid is a liquid with pH value less than 7 Or It is a liquid with high concentration of H+ ions.
So, now as we have knowledge of acid now let us move forward and see about Perchloric acid.
What is a Perchloric acid ?
Image credit: School
It is an acid with no color and odor. As I have mentioned above that Perchloric acid is more powerful and dangerous than Sulphuric acid. The Chemical formula of Perchloric acid is HClO4. It is very corrosive in nature and are used in rocket fuel.
(Note: It is not used directly in rocket fuel. It is used for preparation of ammonium perchlorate which is an important component of rocket fuel.)
The another name of this acid is Hyperchloric acid. It is usually found as an aqueous solution due to its corrosive nature and also Perchloric acid is a powerful Oxidizer.
Properties of Perchloric Acid :
• Perchloric acid are found as an aqueous solution.
• It is unstable at room temperature.
• And also It is found as oily liquid at room temperature.
• When Perchloric acid is reacted with water it forms azeotrope ( Azeotrope is a mixture of two or more liquids , the proportion of which cannot be changed by simple distillation process).
• Perchloric acid are capable of diluting itself by absorbing water from the air.
Preparation of Perchloric acid :
The production of Perchloric acid can be done by two processes :
• Traditional Method
• Laboratory Prepare Method
1) Traditional Method
In the traditional method of preparation of Perchloric acid, we treat hydrochloric acid with high aqueous solubility of Sodium Perchlorate.
Required Chemical Reaction :
NaClO4 + HCl ——- NaCl (Sodium chloride) + HClO4 ( Perchloric acid)
In this reaction we get Sodium chloride ( NaCl ) as a precipitate. This is a long process and also we need to purify the Concentrated acid with the help of distillation process.
2) Laboratory Preparation Method :
In this Laboratory Preparation Method , We treat Sulphuric acid with barium perchlorate to produce Perchloric acid. And in this reaction we get Barium sulfate as a precipitate.
And also we can use another reaction for the preparation of Perchloric acid. For Example : If we treat nitric acid with ammonium perchlorate then we get Perchloric acid and nitrous oxide.
So, these are the methods by which we can prepare Perchloric acid. Now , let us move forward and see the uses of Perchloric acid.
Uses of Perchloric acid :
• The main use of Perchloric acid is for preparation of ammonium perchlorate. Because ammonium perchlorate are used as an important component of rocket fuel. And in this modern era we need lots of rocket fuel for the space exploration and navigation.
• It is also used for extraction of ore and etching of liquid crystal display and critical electronics applications.
So, these are the some important uses of Perchloric acid. Now let us see some additional Information regarding Perchloric acid.
Additional Information Regarding Perchloric acid :
• Perchloric acid is a Super-Acid with its monohydrate containing discrete hydronium ions ( Hydronium ion is a common name given to the aqueous solution of Cation).
• Perchloric acid are not susceptible to hydrolysis( Hydrolysis is a process in which we use water to break the bond).
• Perchloric acid is also used for Electropolishing ( Electropolishing is a process used for removal of material from metal with the help of electricity).
• As we have learnt in above paragraphs that Perchloric acid is a Strong and Dangerous acid. So, it is very necessary to handle this acid with safety. It is stated that to protect ourselves from Perchloric acid it is necessary to use fume woods for its conductance , So that we can be safe from its effect.
So, these are all the extra or additional Information Regarding to acid. Now let us see some Questions and their answers on this topic.
FAQs : Perchloric Acid
Perchloric is a Strong acid but not the Strongest acid , However it is in the list of seven strongest acid in the world.
100.49 g/ mole
The oxidation number of Perchloric acid is +7.
It is a strong acid with pH 1.55.
About the Post :
So far we have learnt many points regarding Perchloric acid. I think this much information is enough for the basic understanding. So, this is all about Perchloric acid and todays post. I hope you enjoyed reading this article on Perchloric acid. You can watch out other posts in this page. Thank you for Visiting this site , Have a good day.
Also Read :